Original title: What happened to those children in Nigeria on the fifth anniversary of Girl Kidnapping?
For parents in Chibuk, northeastern Nigeria, April 14, five years ago, was still an unforgettable day for the rest of their lives.
According to the Guardian, on the evening of April 14, 2014, a group of armed men disguised as guards attacked the official womens high school in the town of Chibuk, Nigeria, and forcibly took more than 200 girls aged 16-18 to the Sabisa Forest Kongduga area, the stronghold of the extremist organization Boko Holy Land. In May, Abubakar Sheiko, the leader of Boko Haram, announced in a video that he was responsible for the kidnapping. Former Boko Haram negotiator Sheehu Sani said the organization wanted to exchange kidnapped girls for their detained members.
The kidnapping caused widespread concern in the international community, and Nigerian officials subsequently took action to rescue the kidnapped girls. So far, 107 girls have been rescued through negotiations between the Nigerian government and Boko Holy Land, but more than 100 are still missing.
Parents of abducted girls set up mutual aid federations to track the progress of missing girls and urge the government to carry out rescue work. Over the past five years, however, the clouds have been hanging over the lives of most parents and released girls.
What happened to the kidnapped girls five years ago?
On the evening of April 14, Jumai, from Chibuck Towns Official GirlsHigh School, was escorted to a truck by armed men with guns along with her classmates. On the truck, Jumai tried to call her father for help. Her father, Daniel, told her to jump out of the truck, but the phone lost its signal as the truck jolted.
Daniel rushed out of the house and held up the phone to try to make the signal better. When he dialed Jumais number again, a strange mans voice came from the line: Dont call again, your daughter has been taken away by us. The next day, Daniel tried to call again, but he couldnt get through.
Together with other students, Jumai left home and went to school for the final exam. But that night, Jumai and 275 other students were kidnapped at Boko Haram, forcing them to serve as cooks, sex slaves and even human bombs.
Jumai came from Mbara, a town about 11 kilometers south of Chibuk, where about 25 girls were abducted in the same town as Jumai. About 530 children from neighbouring villages came to attend the high school entrance exam that night. At the time of the attack, the number of abductees was still uncertain. Until May 2, Nigerian police issued a statement saying that about 276 children had been taken away in the attack and 53 had escaped.
According to the BBC, Abu Bakar Sheiko, leader of Boko Holy Land, claimed responsibility for the kidnapping in a video on May 5. In the video, Xie Kao said that girls should not go to school, but marry at the age of nine. It is Allah who gives him instructions to take and sell the girls, who are Allahs property. He will carry out Allahs instructions. Later, Boko Haram abducted 11 girls aged 12 to 15 from northeastern Nigeria, and after Nigerian security forces left the area to search for kidnapped students, attacked the nearby town of Gangborungala, killing about 300 locals.
According to the Daily Telegraph, the kidnapped non-Muslim students were forced to convert to Islam, and each girl was forced to marry Boko Holy Land members for a bride of 2,000 naira (about $12.5, 7.5 euros). Many students were taken to neighbouring Chad and Cameroon. Many villagers living near the Sabisa forest had witnessed female students crossing the border with armed elements. Traces.
On May 29, 2015, in response to the outbreak of domestic protests, Nigerian President Mohammadu Buhari said in his inaugural address, The government will do everything it can to keep the girls alive and saved. Over the past five years, the Nigerian government has been negotiating with Boko Holy Land to release the kidnapped Chibuk girl. But so far, only 107 girls have been rescued and 100 girls have disappeared.
Whats the status quo of the parents who lost the girls and the town of Chibuk?
According to the BBC, in the five years since the kidnapping, the parents of the girls organized a mutual aid federation. But in the federation, the resentment of parents is growing. The president of the federation, Jacob Nkeki, said. His niece was also one of the girls kidnapped and released in May 2017.
Five years ago, 34 members of the Union Mutual Aid died of accidents, illnesses and attacks by members of Boko Haram, making parents feel as if some force was threatening them. In April last year, the parents of some released girls were involved in a car accident while attending a conference at a university. One person died and 17 were taken to hospital because of injuries. In January this year, a brother and sister of a kidnapped girl who was still missing suffered a serious car accident on her way to school, and eight people were seriously injured.
Since 2010, Boko Holy Land has targeted terrorist attacks in schools, killing hundreds of students. A spokesman for the organization said that as long as the Nigerian government dared to interfere in traditional Islamic education, the sudden attacks would continue, making 10,000 children unable to attend school because of terrorist activities.
Jonathan N.C., professor at Kings College, University of London. Hill said in an interview with the media that Boko Harams kidnapping of these girls was influenced by the growing Islamic Maghreb al-Qaida, which aims to use girls and young women as targets of violence as a means of intimidating civilians and keeping them from resisting. Hill also said the attack was similar to the kidnappings in Algeria in the 1990s and early 21st century.
How do rescued girls return to normal life for the rest of their lives?
The abduction of girls in Chibuk Town has aroused widespread concern and condemnation in Nigeria and the international community.
Ten days after the kidnapping, demonstrations broke out in several Nigerian cities, demanding that the Nigerian government take more action to rescue the kidnapped girls.
On May 3, a lawyer in Abuja, Nigeria, launched the topic of Bring Back Our Girls (Bring Our Girls Back). He quickly made the Twitter Global Trends Hot List and won wide attention from the then First Lady of the United States, Michelle Obama and other dignitaries. By 2016, 6.1 million views had been made on this topic. On 23 July and 24 July, vigils and protests commemorating 100 days of kidnapping were held around the world, including Nigeria, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Togo, the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada and Portugal.
The United Nations Population Fund estimates that about 60 per cent of young girls in northern Nigeria have experienced sexual violence as a result of frequent activities organized by Boko Haram. The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) has cooperated with the Nigerian Government to provide assistance to the released Chibuck girls since October 2016, with a view to helping them successfully reintegrate into society. These assistance includes the provision of appropriate clothing and gynecological treatment free of charge. They will then return to the classroom to fill the knowledge gap created during the kidnapping.
However, returning to normal life is still challenging for some girls who have suffered from long-term violence. In October 2016, a group of girls released by Boko Holy Land did not choose to return to their homes, but chose to stay in government agencies for treatment to avoid excessive outside attention. A girl who was forced to marry and become pregnant with members of Boko Holy Land during her kidnapping told the media that she had been repeatedly criticized by her neighbors for religious problems when she returned home.
The United Nations Population Fund estimates that about 60 per cent of young girls in northern Nigeria have experienced sexual violence as a result of frequent activities organized by Boko Haram. But rebuilding close emotional ties with their families will still help these released Chibuck girls to reintegrate into society. The UNICEF representative in Nigeria called on all parties to the conflict to end violence against children and attacks on civilian facilities, including schools. Only in this way can we bring about long-term improvement in childrens lives in this traumatized land. He said.